WHO WE ARE
We’re a life-giving local church here for our city, nation and world.
We love to gather - all kinds of people, from every background and walk of life. We hope you’ll feel at home here and enjoy church as much as we do. At the core of why we do what we do is the belief that church isn’t just a good idea, but a God idea. It is His creation and His plan. It’s where we’re together, where we belong, where we flourish. It’s a reflection of Heaven.
We exist to build the church by developing flourishing relationships with God and people.
It is a dream... to grow a church without walls, touching every segment of society, bringing a living Jesus to a dying world.
It is a dream... to grow a church of compassion that will reach the untouched, tell the untold, love the unloved, bring hope to the hopeless, life to the lifeless, and become a friend to the friendless.
It is a dream... to grow a church so infused with God's life, love and passion that we are continually inventing new ways of giving it away.
It is a dream... to grow a praying church, standing on the Word of God, walking by faith, depending on the Holy Spirit, committed to each other, and our destiny in God.
It is a dream... to grow the family of God where home is together in God's presence, and everyone belongs.
It is a dream... to build a place where children love to come and grow, teenagers find meaning and encouragement, families are strengthened, dreams are fuelled, people are fed, and it is NEVER BORING!
WHAT WE BELIEVE:
- We believe that God exists in three persons: God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. He is totally loving and completely holy.
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ as both God and man is the only One who can reconcile us to God. He lived a sinless and exemplary life, died on the cross in our place, and rose again to prove His victory and empower us for life.
- We believe that in order to receive forgiveness and be born again we must repent of our sins, believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and submit to His will for our lives.
- We believe that in order to live the holy and fruitful lives that God intends for us, we need to be baptised in water and be filled with the power of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit enables us to use spiritual gifts, including speaking in tongues.
- We believe in the power and significance of the Church and the necessity of believers to meet regularly together for fellowship, prayer and communion.
- We believe that God has individually equipped us so that we can successfully achieve His purpose for our lives which is to worship God, fulfil our role in the Church and serve the community in which we live.
- We believe that God wants to heal and transform us so that we can live healthy and blessed lives in order to help others more effectively.
- We believe that our eternal destination of either heaven or hell is determined by our response to the Lord Jesus Christ.
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ is coming back again as He promised.
THE CHURCH WE SEE:
At the core of why we do what we do is the belief that Church isn't just a good idea - it's a God idea. It's where we're together, where we belong, where we flourish. It's a reflection of heaven - it's home. We've recently celebrated our 30th Anniversary as a church and reflecting on God's faithfulness in the past definitely powers our faith for the future.
John Burns graduated from UBC as a dentist in1978 and moved to Williams Lake (in Northern British Columbia) to begin practicing dentistry. At the time he and his wife Helen were living separately. They had two young daughters and Helen was pregnant with their third, and their marriage was broken. John had dealt with fear and had an issue with stuttering. He avoided communication at all costs. Helen was hurt and angry, and their future was uncertain. It was in that season that God changed both of their lives individually, and began empowering them to restore their relationship. When they encountered Jesus, their lives took a dramatic turn. After six years up north they felt called to the Vancouver area, and moved with their three young girls (Angela, Danica and Ashley) to open a new dental practice in the Guildford area in 1984. A home group that they lead in Vancouver began to grow exponentially, and eventually formed the core of our church today.
1986 was a big year for Vancouver as our city was building, expanding and developing in preparation for Expo 86. In that exciting climate billboards began popping up in the city core, declaring JESUS IS LORD OVER VANCOUVER. It was a bold move and a declaration that we would repeat for years to come. Victory Christian Centre's first of many Sunday services was held on January 5th of that year, in the cafeteria of North Surrey High School. A handful of committed people gathered and together we launched a new church, laying the foundation for thousands of salvations and changed lives to come.
We began meeting in the high school cafeteria and eventually moved into the gym. As the church grew we purchased land and built a new building on 152nd Street at 68th Avenue in Surrey. It was a huge leap of faith and investment at the time, and we've seen the impact of our church grow since then in strength and influence. We love the community we are planted in and our vision to bring hope to our neighbourhood, our Canada, and our world just keeps increasing.
We changed our name to Relate Church in 2009. Pastor John often says that we don't so much decide who we are as discover it, and we have discovered along the way that we are uniquely called to help people do relationships well. We are grateful for pastors who model health and authenticity in this area, and we consider it a privilege to be part of helping others grow as well. We're a family church where everyone is valued - young and old. We're driven to see the next generation grow into people who love Jesus passionately, serve people well, and are committed to the House of God. The past 30 years have been full of life and noise and growth, and we expect the next season will only be louder and better. The hope of the world is the local church - contagious with dreams and vision, overflowing with generosity and dreaming bigger than ever before. Watch this space!